The Coalition for Urban Transitions is looking to hire a short- to medium-term communications consultant to create content and help promote our upcoming research publications in the coming months.
Deadline for proposal submissions: 00:00 BST, Sunday 27 June, 2021
About the Coalition for Urban Transitions
Worldwide, bold national government action to transform cities is critical to avoiding the worst effects of climate and environmental breakdown and to delivering shared prosperity for everyone. That will require a significant stepping up of leadership by heads of state, government ministers, their advisors and civil servants over the next 5 years.
The Coalition for Urban Transitions is a major global initiative dedicated to helping national governments to take that transformative action. Our vision is zero carbon, resilient and inclusive cities by 2050 empowered and enabled by national governments.
Our 2019 flagship global report Climate Emergency, Urban Opportunity, launched at the UN Secretary-General’s Climate Action Summit with the backing of over 50 key institutions and a range of senior ambassadors, for the first time established a rigorous clear economic and social case for national government action on zero-carbon, resilient, and inclusive cities with key recommendations for decision makers.
This was recently complemented by a new flagship global report released in March 2021: Seizing the Urban Opportunity. Produced to support the UK COP26 Presidency, this report looked in further detail how six major emerging markets, accounting for over 40% of the world’s urban population (China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Brazil, and South Africa), could seize the urban opportunity to support economic, social, and climate outcomes in the run up to COP26 and beyond, including as part of their economic recovery efforts.
We also have in-depth, multi-year country programmes supporting the national governments of Mexico, China, Ghana, and Tanzania to develop and deliver ambitious national urban strategies, supplemented by a range of other in-country partnerships which are under active development with government counterparts, including in South Africa, Indonesia, Brazil, Kenya, and Ethiopia.
Country efforts are complemented by major global thought leadership and research efforts to plug critical knowledge gaps on how national governments can transform cities for better economic and climate outcomes. We have brought together a broad coalition of 35+ leading non-governmental institutions to co-develop our analysis and provide support to decision makers.
The Coalition is a special initiative of the New Climate Economy and is jointly hosted and managed by the World Resources Institute Ross Center for Sustainable Cities and the C40 Cities. Core staff are located in London, UK at C40 and DC, USA at WRI.
In the next 5 years, the Coalition is set to grow significantly with deeper and broader non-governmental partnerships to support a much larger program of national government engagement. This is reflected in our new 5 year business plan.
The Coalition for Urban Transitions’ London team is part of WRI Europe and is hosted by C40 Cities at the Bloomberg London Headquarters, one of the world’s most sustainable and innovative office buildings.
The WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities is the World Resources Institute’s programme dedicated to shaping a future where cities work better for everyone. Combining global research and on-the-ground experience in Brazil, China, Ethiopia, India, Mexico, Turkey and the United States, the Ross Center aims to spur action that improves life for millions of people.
Scope of work
- Regularly draft social media content for Twitter and LinkedIn based on Coalition research and in response to current events
- Create key messages documents for 2-3 upcoming publications on financing green cities in Africa, global urban accessibility challenges, and positive case-studies of low-carbon innovation in cities around the world
- Lead on creation of impact plans for 2-3 upcoming publications.
This is a communications and engagement strategy we create and implement for each of our papers. The consultant will be responsible for leading on the creation of the plan following a template in coordination with engagement colleagues.
- Draft up to 5 news articles and scrolling stories for the Coalition website
- Write press releases for 2-3 upcoming publications
- Create additional communications outputs (eg: slide packs, briefing notes, blogs etc) as required
We estimate the work will require 1.5-2 days per week from July 2021 onwards. End date to be discussed.
Qualifications and experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with urban/development/environmental sectors, experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa would be a plus
- Experience working with researchers and promoting research, preferably in an international environment
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Understanding of the international media landscape
Include in your proposal
- How your experience meets the qualifications and scope of work (no more than two pages)
- Hourly or daily rate, including all your administrative costs/overheads
- A writing sample
- Rough indication of any time periods you will be unavailable
- Your availability to start work
- Your location
The consultant can be based anywhere but will need to be able to join meetings with the team in Europe and the US.
Send your proposal to Freya Stanley-Price by 00:00 BST, Sunday 27 June 2021.